Thursday, July 14, 2005

A weighty issue

The main personal feature that I would like to address would be general curviness. Now, I think every single bride the world over has considered her weight to be a challenge in the lead up to her wedding, no matter how perfect her shape may be. But I’m one of those strange creatures you hear about who, no matter how strict her diet, or how much she exercises, will always be voluptuous. In some ways, that’s a blessing, as feminine curves are always beguiling, but you can sometimes have too much of a good thing. Stuart is so supportive, and only wants for my happiness. I know that he would marry me as I am at this moment, and that helps immensely, but I need to take care of myself, and boost my confidence.

Once upon a time, I worked for Weight Watchers. Without ranting about their rhetoric, I must say that it all makes perfect sense. If you are a certain size, you should eat a certain amount to either maintain or lose weight. It would be best if you avoided certain foods, but if not, you should probably eat less of other things to compensate. Drink a lot of water, exercise sufficiently, and consume the right nutrients to sustain you through your fabulous life.
They also address emotions in their meetings and documentation, as they acknowledge that often people try to soothe painful feelings with comfort foods, like a subconscious rewards system.
At the moment, I incorporate most of these theories into my life, but I could be more vigilant, and get great results.
So I’m going to maintain my intake at 22 points per day, which is small enough to elicit some results, but still allows enough to be realistic, in the event of engagement parties, and such. This amount of points also allows for me to reduce my intake as my body reduces, and requires less energy.

I’ve also taken up running in recent weeks. Just a couple of nights a week, run down to the church district, walk back up the hill, and then jog down our street, back to the love nest. Eventually, as I become fitter and stronger, I will run the entire distance, and then increase it, until I am a super human running machine! Once home, I do some push ups, sit ups, and such, to make sure that the rest of my muscles are engaged as well.
I must admit that I was quite surprised how well I’ve adapted to running, but once I’ve got my iPod going, it’s as simple as going through the motions, until my body cries for a rest. Without the music, I concentrate too much on the action, and it seems like a lot more work! Another thing that makes running hard is the wrong shoes. A few weeks ago I invested in a good pair of runners, and it has made all the difference. No more blisters or irritations, things that I once thought were a given when I wanted to exercise.
I used to go for a morning run, for a year or so, back in high school, and since then I’ve always tried to incorporate a lot of walking, combat classes, and such, so I guess my muscles haven’t completely frozen over. It feels great to get them working hard, and I’m proud of myself for making the effort.

Of course, it’s important to set attainable goals, so that you can congratulate yourself when they’ve been achieved.
I’m going to be a typical woman here, and be very vague about my weight, but I’ll elude to it enough that you will get the picture.
Last weekend I took my weight and measurements, and I was ‘z’ kilograms. By our engagement party (5th November, 2005), I would like to be ‘y’ kilograms, which is about 13.3kgs away. I feel that this is realistic, as it allows for approximately 0.8kgs to be lost each week. Some weeks I will lose more, some less, but this is within the healthy range of 0.5 and 1kgs per week.
I would love to say that ‘y’ would be my ideal weight, but there will still be work to be done after that, so I will have to set goals for ‘x’, and possibly even ‘w’. But we will worry about those bridges when we cross them!
In the meantime, please pray for me to have the strength and willpower to tackle this huge but ultimately rewarding task!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home