Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Of course you can be my bridesmaid!

A while ago, I decided upon the girls I would love to have by my side on the day of my marriage to my high school sweetheart.
My sister, because, well, she's my sister. Stuart's sister, because it felt good to include her. And my friend for the longest time, Jicks, because I couldn't imagine not having her play a part in the day. All happily accepted the challenge, thank goodness!

As with all aspects of weddingness, there is a shroud of mystery surrounding the role bridesmaids play in the proceedings.

The money part is possibly where most issues lie. Some brides pay for everything involved in having their friends look the part, some for nothing. I feel it would be appropriate for us to decline gifts, in lieu of the girls buying their dress and shoes. We can take care of hair, makeup, jewellery, etc.

Of course, the girls deserve to have a say in what they wear. I'm playing with the idea of each of the girls wearing the style of their choice, but all in the same colour. Matching hemlines to unify the look would be nice. As long as there aren't too many bows or ruffles, they'll be gorgeous.
I won't even begin to pretend that they will wear them again (I have been told so many times that I will be able to wear my bridesmaid dress again, which is just rubbish. It's pale pink, it's polyester, it's delustered satin. It's being resold.), but I hope it is something that they are proud to wear on the day.

I'm so lucky, all three have beautiful smiles, always look their very best, but are also individuals, so I won't have clones following me around all day. They will all have their own ideas about tanning and nail polish and hair colour, and I encourage them to pursue a look that suits them. If the wedding was today, and they all turned up looking as they are, they would be the three most stunning bridesmaids ever to grace a chapel.

Stu and I have a fair idea of the kinds of things we're interested in for the day. Colours and music and stationery... we'll sort it out. We won't be sending the girls (or boys) on errands, because they're busy people too. We have a long time to organise everything, and should be able to book it all without too much stress.
But if any of the girls had opinions on details, or information on suppliers, they are welcome to let us know. Not required, but appreciated. And should we decide to DIY bonbonniere or invites or whatever, an extra pair of hands might be useful!
Oh, and it might be fun to go to a few wedding expos, and flick through some magazines together, to see what things they like, and who can supply them to us.

I guess the one thing that most would know as being a bridesmaids' job would be organising the hen's party.
I hate strippers. I'm sure they have lovely personalities, I just don't want them gyrating in front of me. And whilst I love a dance, and a nicely flavoured drink, I can't imagine too many of my friends running around to clubs.
I would have the best time if the largest possible amount of my female friends and family could celebrate with us... so something tasteful, and probably daytime, would be best. Wine tastings, spa days, picnics - all bake my biscuit. But it would be fun to do those things with a tacky veil on my head!

Either way, I'm so glad to have these girls on my team.

2 Comments:

Blogger Martie said...

They sound so lucky to have you as their bride!

For my best friend's wedding, I bought a dress, then she decided that she didn't like it, so I had to fork out to hire another one, which made me look like a giant blueberry. Then had to pay for my hair & make-up as well!

It nearly destroyed our friendship.

Just as long as you don't turn into a bridezilla, then you'll be right!!

10/13/2005 1:11 pm  
Blogger Janet said...

Whoot!

10/25/2005 10:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home